What are special needs

Basic terminology
How to get special needs or individual study plan?

Basic terminology

Special needs

Special needs are granted on the basis of an objective evaluation of the student’s sensory, physical or psychological abilities and needs, as results from the functional diagnostics. In practical terms, this means a range of study adjustments that enable the student to participate fully in their university studies. Some of the typical adjustments are extended testing time, the possibility to prepare a written concept for oral exams, rest breaks, the possibility to sit an exam in a quiet environment, or individual deadlines for the submission of seminar works and assignments.

Individual Study Plan (ISP)

In substantiated cases, ISP allows students to qualify for exceptions to MU Study and Examination Regulations such as progression to the next semester with fewer credits, distribution of the study load over a longer period of time, or the possibility to complete courses outside of the examination period. ISP is typically granted to students with more severe disabilities or with a combined disability.

Supportive courses

Supportive courses are mainly intended to support standard foreign language instruction and their primary users are students with specific learning difficulties. Supportive classes do not replace compulsory foreign language classes at the faculties; they aim to help students acquire effective strategies for dealing with problematic areas in foreign language learning. Exceptionally, these classes may be offered to students with other difficulties, and in such cases, may not only focus on foreign language learning. For more information, visit the section Common study and exam adjustments.

Individual tuition

It is used when the standard form of teaching is for some reason inaccessible or difficult to manage for the student. For more information, see Common study and exam adjustments.

Study counselling

The aim of study counselling is to keep one’s studies as close to standard as possible. At the beginning of your studies, student counsellors can help you find your way in the university environment. During your studies, they can help you plan your studies or help you resolve any disability-related problems or other difficulties that may arise.

Educational-psychological counselling

It is led by psychologists with experience of the university environment and aims to help students cope with their studies by improving their skills. It typically involves consultations on time management and task planning, or on study strategies.

Assistive technology

Assistive technology is any tool, device, software or system which typically employs modern technologies to enhance, maintain or improve abilities of individuals with special needs. This may include special software for the visually impaired, hearing aids for deaf and hard of hearing individuals, or wheelchair access to buildings. As for students with specific learning difficulties, assistive technology includes software software that can read text aloud, spell checkers, integrated dictionaries in word processors, etc. It aims to: 

  • allow independent access to information
  • facilitate understanding and generation of information
  • enable communication with others 
  • enable movement and motion control of IT

How to get special needs or individual study plan?

Do you believe you need adjustments to your studies to accommodate your difficulties? Do you wish to know what to do and how it all works? 

In a nutshell, this is what to do:

  • arrange a consultation with the student counsellor for your faculty
  • have your up-to-date medical documentation at hand (medical reports, reports from a psychologist, Educational-psychological counselling centre or Special education centre, your disability certificate, disability card, etc.) 
  • take a moment to think how to best describe your difficulties and how they influence your studies - it will be the first thing your student counsellor will ask you


In addition to the Study and Examination Regulations, studies of students with special needs at MU are also governed by the Rector's directives: