Information for applicants with specific learning disorders
This page includes:
- Open Days at each faculty
- Entrance examination dates
- National Comparative Exams
- Preparatory course for the entrance exams
- Learning potential test samples
- Information for study possibilities for applicants
Open Days at each faculty
If you are interested in visiting some of the Open Days with one of our personal assistants, please contact Iveta Machačová from the Physical Disabilities Department.
|Faculty of Science – 19/1/2013 and 22/1/2013 from 9:00 a.m., Kotlářská 2, Brno or on the Brno – Bohunice campus|
|Faculty of Law – 10/1/2013 from 3:00 p.m., Veveří 70 on the first floor in classroom numbers 136 and 140|
|Faculty of Sport Studies – 22/1/2013 from 10:00 a.m. on the Brno – Bohunice campus in the building A11, auditorium (aula) 114|
|Faculty of Economics and Administration – 28/1/2013 from 1:00 p.m. in the building of the FEA, Lipová 41a, CitiHall, auditorium (aula) P1|
|Faculty of Education – 12/1/2013 in the buildings of the FE at Poříčí 9/11 and Poříčí 31, from 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. at the Office for Studies, each department will hold presentations at 10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m. and 12:00 a.m.|
|Faculty of Medicine – 12/1/2013 at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. and 16/1/2013 at 3:00 p.m., on the Brno – Bohunice campus, Kamenice 5, in the Pavilion A22, auditorium (aula)|
|Faculty of Informatics – 15/1/2013, 23/1/2013 and 31/1/2013 from 12:30 p.m., Botanická 68a, Brno|
|Faculty of Arts – 18/1/2013 from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m., Arna Nováka 1, Gorkého 7, Veveří 28, Janáčkovo nám. 2a, Komenského nám. 2, Brno|
|Faculty of Social Studies – 18/1/2013 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Joštova 10, Brno|
Entrance examination dates
- All applicants to all faculties of Masaryk University (with the exceptions of the Faculty of Social Studies and the Faculty of Medicine) must take the Learning Potential Test, which is held on 4 and 5 May 2013 in Brno and on 4 May 2013 in Bratislava.
- The main criteria for acceptance at the Faculty of Social Studies are the results of the National Comparative Exams, specifically the Test of General Academic Prerequisites and the Test in Social Science Fundamentals, which are held exclusively on 8/12/2012, 9/2/2013, 9/3/2013, 6/4/2013 and 8/5/2013. The exams are administered by the Scio company. Applicants must submit and pay for the university application and the application for exact dates of the National Comparative Exams separately.
- Entrance exams at the Faculty of Medicine are scheduled for 14/6/2013 (for undergraduate study), 14/6/2013 or 15/6/2013 (for Master's degree applicants), and 26/6/2013 (for students continuing to Master's degree programs); this includes tests in biology, chemistry, and physics.
Applicants applying to study some majors at the Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Education, and Faculty of Science must take additional tests from their chosen field of studies. The dates are as follows:
- Faculty of Arts: 6-7 June 2013 (information and test samples can be found here)
- Faculty of Education: 17-28 June 2013 (information can be found here)
- Faculty of Science: 4 May 2013 (information and test samples can be found here)
Applicants to the Faculty of Sports Studies, in addition to the Learning Potential Test, must take a practical entrance exam in physical education and in some cases tests in mathematics and biology, both held on 11-12 May 2013. You can find more information here in Chapter 10. You will also find videos describing the requirements for each sport discipline and mathematics and biology test samples on this page.
Those applying to study the Theory and Practice of Ancient Music offered by the Faculty of Arts must audition.
National Comparative Exams
The Faculty of Social Studies and the Faculty of Informatics take into account National Comparative Exam (NCE) results when considering applicants. The dates for the NCEs are as follows:
- 8/12/2012 – Test of General Academic Prerequisites (hereinafter GAP) in both its basic (hereinafter B) and extended (hereinafter E) forms, Test of General Academic Prerequisites in Slovak language (hereinafter GAP Sk).
- 9/2/2013 – GAP B/E/Sk, Social Science Test (hereinafter SST)/Mathematics Test (hereinafter MAT).
- 9/3/2013 – GAP B/E, SST/MAT, Foreign language tests (English or German).
- 6/4/2013 – GAP B/E/Sk, SST/MAT and Biology tests.
- 8/5/2013 – GAP B/E/Sk, SST, Biology/Foreign language (English or German) tests.
- 1/6/2013 – GAP B/E/Sk, SST tests.
Applicants to the Faculty of Social Studies must take the National Comparative Exams, specifically the GAP and STT tests. However only exams taken on 8/12/2012, 9/2/2013, 9/3/2013, 6/4/2013, and 8/5/2013 shall be recognized. They must take each GAP and SST test at least once (they can take them several times). The applicant's best scores from each test are used for the admissions process by the Faculty of Social Studies.
Successfully passing the National Comparative Exams is one way that applicants can be accepted to the Faculty of Informatics and the Faculty of Economics and Administration. The Faculty of Informatics accepts applicants whose test results from the GAP, GAP Sk or Mathematics tests are in the top 30 %. The results from the first five exam dates are taken into account. Detailed information about conditions for recognizing GAP results as an alternative form of admissions can be found on the webpage of the FEA and webpage of the FI (in the form of Request for Entrance examination remission).
Preparatory course for the entrance exams
Some faculties offer their own preparatory courses focused on field-specific tests. You can find a list of these courses and information about them here: is.muni.cz/obchod/vzdelani/pripravky/?lang=en. In case of ambiguities or complications with application for the courses, please contact Iva Dudíková or Miroslav Zítko.
Learning Potential Test samples
The web page www.muni.cz/study/admission/tsp offers all previous versions of the Learning Potential Test taken by all applicants for study at Masaryk University between the years 2003-2012. You can find a key to questions and a link to interactive exercises of the LPT at the same web page.
Information about study possibilities for applicants (and their parents or teachers)
Those interested in study at MU can contact Mgr. Iva Dudíková, the Teiresias Centre psychologist, to get more information on study options and adjustments for people with Specific Learning Disorders (SLD).
Which field of study should I choose?
Applicants with SLD can choose any field of study offered by the faculties of MU. Nevertheless, we recommend choosing your field of study carefully. For example, an applicant with specific counting disorder will probably not choose mathematical, economic or informatics fields of study. But he or she can face problems even when studying Geography and other fields.
We recommend that you browse through the Course Catalogue, as well as individual subjects of the field you are interested in. If you are not sure about the suitability of the chosen field, feel free to contact the Teiresias Centre psychologist, Mgr. Iva Dudíková.
How do I take the entrance exams?
1. Please fill out an electronic application; the application form is available in the is.muni.cz/?lang=en, at is.muni.cz/prihlaska/?lang=en. Do not forget to apply for an adjustment of the admissions process based on your SLD (the item is called Requesting special conditions due to health impairment).
You have to support your claim for the entrance exam adjustment with a report issued by a pedagogical-psychological advisory centre, neurologist, etc., confirming your SLD and not older than 2 years. If you do not have this report, you can be diagnostically examined for SLD by Mgr. Iva Dudíková.
2. Applicants should expect to take the same written entrance exams as required of all students by individual faculties and fields of study:
- the learning potential test,
- other specialized entrance exams.
4. You will take the test in the Teiresias Centre after receiving a written invitation for the exam by post. The time allotted to you to take the exam will be extended (by a maximum of twice the standard time). You can use other aids according to the combination and degree of your disorder but it is not possible to be excluded from the entrance exam for the reason of suffering from SLD.
5. If you are not immediately accepted by the dean of the faculty in the first round of admissions due to a low exam grade, do not let this discourage you. As part of the admissions process you are allowed to call for a review of your exam, which may lead to success.