Methodological seminar on teaching English to the deaf
The Teiresias Centre invites you to attend a methodological seminar on teaching English to the deaf, which will take place on the premises of the centre (Šumavská 15, Brno)
on Wednesday, 16 May from 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM.
The seminar is part of the project Operational Program Education for Competitiveness (Network of Expert Centres Providing Inclusion in Tertiary Education – ExpIn; CZ.1.07/2.2.00/29.0010) and there is no participation fee. All teachers of English for the hearing impaired at primary and secondary schools as well as universities, and all others interested are cordially invited to participate. The seminar will be held in English.
Schedule of the seminar
- 10:00 AM–12:00 – Workshops led by participants from the John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin (KUL):
- Facilitating teaching grammar and vocabulary to the deaf and hard of hearing students (Ewa Domagala-Zysk)
- Cued Speech and Cued Language in foreign language instruction for hard of hearing students (Anna Podlewska)
- 12:00–1:00 PM – Lunch break
- 1:00–3:00 PM
- Presentation of methods and materials used in teaching English for the deaf and hard of hearing at Masaryk University, followed by a short lecture on "Early language development of the deaf and its relation to foreign language learning" (Jitka Sedláčková a Zuzana Fonioková)
- Presentation "Teaching reading skills to the deaf on the teartiary level of education" (Jitka Sedláčková)
- 3:00–3:30 PM – Coffee break
- 3:30–5:30 PM –Contributions by other participants (e.g. by Marie Doležalová, Faculty of Arts, Charles University, Prague). Discussion and practical demonstration of materials
We ask those interested in participating in the seminar to register at email@example.com no later than 14 May. If you would like to give a short speech (max. 15 minutes) on a topic related to teaching English to the hearing impaired or to present the approach used at your school, please send us the topic of your speech on 10 May at the latest.
Participants who require a sign language interpreter are asked to inform us about this requirement by 9 May. We are looking forward to seeing you here at the Teiresias Centre. Should you have any questions, please contact Zuzana Fonioková at firstname.lastname@example.org.